I watched the Grammy Awards at my friend Kristen’s house. It was definitely fun watching all the outlandish set designs, costumes, and choreography. It was entertaining as usual.
Before I talk about the awesome moments it had I just want to say, “it’s called the Grammy AWARDS, is it not?” They only handed out 10 actual awards during the broadcast. They filled literally 3.5 hours of TV programming with fluff and commercials. I’m not saying that I’m dying that I missed out on long-winded and boring speeches but come on. Why bother having a show at all? If you’re going to put on all this glitz and glamor of concert material why not just have a benefit concert for some good cause? And don’t tell me it is a benefit thing because of the Grammy Foundation, which is so under-publicized and it’s not even to help people in need. It doesn’t count.
That being said, here’s a summary. Lady Antebellum took home five awards (Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Country Song, Best Country Performance by Duo/Group for “I Need You Now”, and Best Country Album). Well done, y’all. Bieber and Drake didn’t get much love, however, Eminem got the awards for Best Rap Album and Best Rap Solo Performance for “Not Afraid” even though his big hit “Love The Way You Lie” wasn’t the big winner it was expected to be. GaGa took home three awards (Best Female Pop Vocal Album, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for “Bad Romance,” and Best Short Form Music Video). Some shockers were the Best New Artist win for Esperanza Spalding and Arcade Fire taking home the Album of the Year award. Which brings me to my poll:
And just because I want to share them, here are my Top 10 favorite moments:
1. GaGa’s egg entrance on the carpet. It’s a total WTF moment and that’s amazing.
2. Cee Lo Green rocks out with muppets and Gwyneth Paltrow.
3. Barbara Streisand hesitating when announcing the Album of the Year award and giving a face like she has no idea who The Arcade Fire are.
4. Nicole Kidman rocking out to Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream.”
5. Cyndi Lauper. Just the fact that they showed her at all proves she’s still cool.
6. Mick Jagger. I’m surprised he actually decided to perform but I’m super happy he did.
7. “Born This Way” performance. It was tame for GaGa but still so awkward. And she totally did the Willow Smith “Whip My Hair” dance.
8. Muse winning for Best Rock Album and having no idea what to say.
9. Ricky Martin having the balls to wear silver pants after years of denial.
10. Lady GaGa saying “Born This Way” was inspired by Whitney Houston after everybody shot off their mouths about it being a Madonna rip-off. Burrrrrrrn.